Wednesday 23 September 2009

Burgos - Part 1

What a joy last night was - and I do not just mean the ´Fry up, and the couple of beers - but sheets, a quiet (ish) room, my own shower, not on the top bunk, a glorious town/city and time to appreciate it this morning.  So Santo Domingo comes reccomended unlike ...
 
My Solar Charger which has fried my IPod - so I am onto the Phrase book and schoolboy Spansih I was so bad at I was asked not to bother sitting the O-Level.  But it seems to be working.
 
My GPS which is deader than the Auk.
 
Laundromat Tumble Driers which (as always) don´t do what they are supposed to in the time they are supposed to.
 
But on the other hand some other recommended things are:
 
Headwinds - worse by far than rain.
 
Maps
 
Sudocreme
 
Water and Energy drinks.
 
Downhill runs (note uphill is OK as what goes up ...)
As for Burgos and the run here, OK a ´cheats day´ predominantly on the  touring bike route with some real Camino but changed to go over Montes de Oca (which my guide says was a 500m climb) - which was a win but really hurt on the way up.  A grand lunch in Belorado and then the initial diassapointment of the outskirts of a city before reaching the centre of Burgos.
 
The Cathedral is inspiring, the Refugio fantastic, clean, modern, all mod cons including the web (hence this is not the usual mix of half spelled words and phrases) and I even got here early enough to bag a bottom bunk, get my ´reasty´ kit in the wash and set up home.
 
The plan now to get the dhobi dried, chack the map and plan for the route tomorrow towards Leon aiming for Carrion de Los Condes or a bit further as it is predominantly flat - and which might just be another mix and match day while I get all my bits functioning correctly - enough.
 
More to follow (maybe) fater i have found and devoured several scabby dogs.
 
Buen Camino
 
--
Andy Skinner
 
Please have a look at:   www.bbbbr.org.uk ...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment