Wednesday 16 September 2009

Preparation

First off the bike:

A Kona Caldera bought in the Christmas sales ...

Fitted with panniers, upgraded handle bar grips and Schwalbe Marathon tyres to 'ease' the rolling resistance and hopefully improve the puncture resistance - so less knobbly tyres than you can see.

Then other bits of kit and travel:

As for kit, big thanks to BJ for a single man's tent and lightweight cooker (just in case the Refugio's are full). And to Leanman for a lightweight Bivvy Bag just in case it gets all too difficult.

have the guide books from the Confraternity of Saint James (so I should know where to go), a Garmin Gecko (so I know where I was), and a Heart Rate Monitor (so in theory I have an idea of when to calm down) a small Pharmacy (so when I fall off / over I have a chance of mending myself), a Spanish in 2 hours course on my old IPod and a couple of pairs of cycling shorts, tops, gloves and of course a nice hat etc.

The European Bike Express (Bus) leaves from Nottingham on Friday morning 18 Sep and my flight back is booked from Santiago de Compostella on Ryan Air with the Bike as excess baggage on Friday 2 Oct - the hard end date.

Then the links:

And of course I have my Justgiving sites set up for:

3 comments:

  1. Keep smiling and be careful,lots of love Pa and Ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lengths you go to to get out of watching the dancing on the Telly! Don't think about what is ahead, enjoy the views and the here and now. And Jan will update you on the foxtrots on your successful return! AJJG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Andy, take care of yourself. We are thinking about you. Sarah, Keith, Dan and Emily.

    ReplyDelete