Sunday 20 September 2009

Roncesvalles

Made it up the Pyrenees!
 
1100m climb in the rain, real rain, real wet, all day long rain!  That said if it wasn´t raining I´d have been just as soggy soggy soggy soggy wet right through like I´d been in a bath.  But 5 Hours of cycling and I´m here at 1600 just as the Refugio opens and I bagged bed 68 of 200.  I´ve done my dhobi, had a shower, laid out my bunk space and now off to bag a Pelegrino´s meal.  It´s a bit like like Seeb and the ´Deed was a series of practice runs - I´ll let you know how the 200 person mixed dorm compares to the 44 man tent and the Pilgrim´s meal compares to the chow hall later.
 
No pictures, on this post as I´m using the Internet in the Refugio (a coverted barn opposite the Monestery manned by Dutch Hospitaleros - amazed a Brit has even one word of Dutch) and haven´t had the phone out all day.  But there are some on the camera, as obviously, I had to stop more than once.  Not just on the 2 wrong turns - one not so bad just a wasted half hour as I missed the tiny track across the river at Valcarlos.  The other wasa nightmare following the walking route alongside the river on a single track damp rock strewn shingle and mud path with a couple of really steep bits where I had to push, brake, pull, brake and so on and switch the HRM off as it was bleeping far too much!  But ´no pain no gain´ as the saying goes so I must be gaining lots!
 
But there are nice people along the way and the coffee at the mid point, a quick chat with a middle aged biker who took a piccy, was a real bonus, as is the interweb in the Refugio.
 
A fantastic start, my thoughts are with one and all who have helped (Sue, Ma, Pa, BJ - I will use the tent ´coz I am not lugging 800km plus and not using it!) and PJ and Helen for looking after ´home´ while I am off enjoying myself.
 
So far - I just wished I brought a Nokia charger - but that is fixable.  And sense of humour and knee remain intact.
 
Buen Camino

--
Andy Skinner

Please have a look at:   www.bbbbr.org.uk ...

3 comments:

  1. Congrats, Andy, presumably all down hill from here then! We are saying nothing about a navigator and taking wrong turnings ...

    Look after both SOH and Knee!

    The Naismith's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Andy, Keep up the good work but remember to be careful.
    Buen Camino !
    Lots of love
    Pa and Ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liking both the subtle hint about looking after home (not sure Helen's checking the blog) and the maintenance of your caffeine addiction. I'm actually safely off it now, though the cold turkey period was pretty horrendous.

    Can't quite believwe you're actually doing it (no offence). Keep going! And, yes, make sure the sense of humour stays! And say a nice flemmy "Gutenabend" to all the lovely Dutch people for me.

    And don't get lost anymore!

    ReplyDelete