Wednesday 16 September 2009

Sep 16 2009 - Maybe 2 Days to go ...

Two days to go to my Pilgrimage - or there should be.

I have still to pack, get all the bits together, and make sure it fits on the bike - but that will happen if, and its a big if, my knee holds up. But the Doc and Physio have been really helpful, and I am under strict orders to rest, apply ice every 2 hours, and keep the joint compressed whilst taking as much ibruprofen and paracetemol as I can ingest safely in any 24 hours. Under this regime I can now, at least, straighten my leg, and maybe, with a following wind, be off on Friday.

'D Day' is 14:30 tomorrow when, with an element of luck I'll be cleared to go ... And if so:

The plan is, currently, to extend the bus to Bayonne and then a 'gentle' relatively flat 50km to Saint Jean Pied de Port - which might even be by train depending on how my knee and powers of persuasion end up being. That puts me two and half days ahead of schedule and so I can either take life really easy up the 1200m climb to Roncesvalles or maybe even a taxi so I can start from where the Spanish do.

Reflection suggests that the training and preparation was too easy and that like all good things in life there has to be some pain and effort involved - lets hope its pain up front rather than the harbringer of doom. We'll see and I'll keep you updated.



1 comment:

  1. hi Andy, sounds like youre having fun!!!
    No pain no gain.....
    we are all thinking of you.Big Well done

    love from the claysons in Harrogate

    ReplyDelete